Electric vehicle (EV) drivers, rejoice! Google Maps is getting an update that will make it even easier to find and use EV charging stations. Starting this week, on Android and iOS, EV drivers will see more helpful charging station information, including:
- Whether a charger is compatible with their vehicle
- Whether the available chargers are fast, medium, or slow
- When a charger was last used
This information will help you find the charging station that best meets your needs and save time heading to a broken charger.
Google is also making EV charging information available to developers on Google Maps Platform in the Places API. This means that companies can show real-time EV charging station information on their websites and apps.
How to reduce charging anxiety with Google Maps
Here are a few tips on how to use Google Maps to reduce charging anxiety:
- Plan your route ahead of time and identify charging stations along the way.
- Use the new EV charging information to filter your search results and find chargers that are compatible with your vehicle and offer the desired speed.
- Check the charger status before you go to save time heading to a broken charger.
- Consider using a third-party EV charging app that provides additional information, such as real-time availability and pricing.
By following these tips, you can reduce charging anxiety and enjoy your EV road trip with peace of mind.
Benefits of the Google Maps EV charging update
The Google Maps EV charging update provides several benefits to EV drivers, including:
- Easier to find compatible chargers: The new EV charging information includes whether a charger is compatible with your vehicle, so you can quickly identify chargers that will work for you.
- Easier to find fast chargers: The new EV charging information also includes the speed of each charger, so you can quickly find chargers that will provide the fastest possible charging.
- Easier to avoid broken chargers: The new EV charging information includes when a charger was last used, so you can avoid wasting time heading to a broken charger.
- More real-time information: The Google Maps EV charging update is also making EV charging information available to developers on the Google Maps Platform. This means that more companies will be able to provide real-time EV charging information on their websites and apps.
Overall, the Google Maps EV charging update is a positive development for EV drivers. The new information and features will make it easier to find and use EV charging stations, reducing charging anxiety and making EV ownership more convenient.